Position Available (Assistant for Economic Affairs: Economy, Science, and Technology)
1. SUMMARY OF OPEN POSITIONThe Consulate General of Japan in San Francisco has an opening for a full-time assistant in its Economic Section, with an expected start date in April 2023. The responsibilities of this section are broad, but include facilitating government, trade, and business relations between Japan and the United States.
The economic affairs assistant is responsible for providing administrative support to three Consuls, collectively in charge of economy, science, and technology affairs.
- Researching and informing Consuls on current issues and events
- Drafting and editing speeches, letters, and informative documents
- Coordinating and managing multiple projects
- Scheduling meetings and appointments
- Responding to public inquiries
- Handling various administrative and clerical tasks
- Occasionally translating documents between Japanese and English
- Other related tasks as they arise
3. QUALIFICATIONSA candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- B.A. or B.S. degree
- Professional manner
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong internet-based research abilities
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple tasks
- Ability to work independently and travel locally
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with Japanese culture and values
- (Recommended) Ability to understand written and spoken Japanese and translate it into English
4. WORKING CONDITIONS
- Regular working hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (lunch break: 12:00 p.m.-1:00 p.m.), Monday through Friday. Occasional paid overtime is required as needed.
- Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays defined by the Consulate are nonworking days. Paid holidays and sick days are provided after the completion of a three-month probationary period.
- Financial assistance for health and dental insurance is available after completion of a three month probationary period.
- Starting salary will be roughly 50,000 USD yearly. Salary is commensurate with experience. Yearly raise for inflation and strong work performance.
- Applicants are requested to e-mail resumes and cover letters to the Economic Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications must include the following information: Name, current residential address, telephone number, E-mail address, educational history, work history, special skills, certifications/qualifications, and reason for applying.
- The deadline for submitting applications is Monday, March 13, 2023.
- We hope to begin scheduling interviews from the middle of April 2023. Please do not call regarding this position.
6. PLEASE NOTE
- The Consulate will not return any submitted documents.
- Communications with applicants are sent by E-mail. Please make sure that your E-mail address is provided correctly.
- Candidates who pass the preliminary screening will be notified by E-mail for the next selection stage.
- Candidates who receive conditional offers of employment will be required to provide information for an employment background check.
- The Consulate will not respond to inquiries related to the results of the screening process.