Position Available (Japan Information & Cultural Center Education Staff)
1. SUMMARY OF OPEN POSITION
The Consulate General of Japan in San Francisco has an opening for a full-time staff member in the Japan Information and Cultural Center (JICC). This position is in charge of overseeing all aspects of educational exchange between Japan and the Consulate’s jurisdiction of Northern and Central California and the entirety of Nevada, in particular study abroad programs in Japan (including promoting and overseeing applications of MEXT scholarships), introducing Japan-related topics at schools in the Consulate’s jurisdiction, promoting and supporting Japanese language study, and youth exchange. They will also work as part of a team and assist with general JICC activities (including but not limited to office work, public events, and responding to inquires [in English]).
2. JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- Strong interest in education exchange between the US and Japan. Experience living in Japan long term through study abroad or work (JET Program, etc.), or experience working in the education field preferred.
- Native-level English required.
- Strong written and spoken Japanese (able to read documents and answer telephone). JLPT N2 level or equivalent preferred.
- Familiarity with MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), and general office duties.
- Ability to communicate and cooperate effectively with coworkers, external partners, and students of all ages
- Strong public speaking and presentation skills preferred
- Have authorization to work in the United States, and can provide proof of a valid Green Card if applicant does not have US citizenship
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19
3. WORKING CONDITIONS
- Employment will start in July, 2023
- Regular working hours are Monday to Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm.
- Working weekends or past 5pm may be requested of staff by the office when necessary
- Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays defined by the Consulate are nonworking days
- Paid vacation, sick leave and optional health insurance support are provided after the completion of a three-month probationary period.
- Starting salary will be roughly 45,000 USD. Yearly raise for inflation and strong work performance.
4. HOW TO APPLY
- Submit your resume to the Japan Information & Cultural Center by e-mail. Please include “Job Application: Consulate Local Staff” in the subject line.
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Communication with applicants will be primarily through e-mail. Candidates who pass the preliminary screening will be notified by e-mail for the next selection stage.
- The Consulate will not respond to inquiries related to the results of the screening process.