Short Term Stay
*Please read "Visa Information" before applying for a visa.
- Short Term Stay refers to temporary visits of up to 90 days with non-paid activities for the purpose of the trip.
- Nationals from countries that have visa exemption arrangements with Japan can apply for landing permission for short term stay without obtaining a visa beforehand.
(U.S. citizens who go to Japan for news/media related activities or attending depositions are required to obtain a visa).
- Visa applications must be submitted in person.
- You do NOT need an appointment to submit your visa application. Please drop in and submit your visa application documents during our window hours.
- You must live in our jurisdiction to apply for your visa. (Northern and Central California & Nevada)
Please bring proof of residence such as your California/Nevada Driver’s license/ID card, utility bill, etc.
- Applicants must have a valid U.S. long term visa status such as Permanent Resident, H1B, L-1, J-1, F-1 etc. F-1 Student and J-1 visa holders must have a valid travel signature on I-20 / DS2019.
- We take a minimum of 5 business days to process, so please apply for your visa ahead of time. For special circumstances, we may take longer.
Applications from those who entered the U.S. with a B1/B2 visa or who are under a U.S. visa exemption status will not be accepted in this office.