Short Term Stay
*Please read "Visa Information" before applying for a visa.
- Short Term Stay refers to temporary visits of up to 90 days with non-paid activities for the purpose of the trip.
- Visa applications must be submitted in person.
- You must live in our jurisdiction to apply for your visa. (Northern and Central California & Nevada)
Please bring proof of residence such as your California/Nevada Driver’s license/ID card, utility bill, etc.
- Applicants must have a valid U.S. long term visa status such as Permanent Resident, H1B, L-1, J-1, F-1 etc. F-1 Student and J-1 visa holders must have a valid travel signature on I-20 / DS2019.
- We take a minimum of 5 business days to process, so please apply for your visa ahead of time. For special circumstances, we may take longer.
Applications from those who entered the U.S. with a B1/B2 visa or who are under a U.S. visa exemption status will not be accepted in this office.
Please carefully read the checklist that applies to you regarding all the required documents for your short term stay visa application. Please click the link below to see the applicable checklist.
Landing Permission at the Airport
Although a visa is one condition that allows you to land at an airport or seaport, you should note that a visa does not guarantee landing permission. You must obtain landing permission during immigration procedures.
An applicant with a criminal record must provide a copy of his/her court conviction or sentence, along with an English translation of those documents if they are in any language other than English. We would like to know about the charges, time served, fees paid, and probation (if any). If you have such a record, please call our office in advance.
Window: Monday to Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., closed from noon to 1:00p.m.
Due to limited staff in light of Covid-19, we may not be able to answer your call.
Toll-Free & 24 Hour Hotline for Visa-related inquiries – 1-202-773-9557
Phone number and Address
For directions, please click here
Consulate General of Japan in San Francisco
275 Battery Street, Suite 2100
San Francisco, CA 94111
Tel: (415)780-6000 ext. 6092, FAX: (415)767-4200
Tel hours: Monday to Friday, except certain U.S. and Japanese holidays;
9:00a.m. to 5:00p.m., closed from noon to 1:00p.m.
* Due to limited staff in light of Covid-19, we may not be able to answer your call during our window hours.
All visa inquiries should be addressed to the Consulate General of Japan in San Francisco if you reside in Northern and Central California, and the State of Nevada