1. Basic premiseAt the Consulate General of Japan in San Francisco (hereinafter referred to as "the Consulate"), we are collecting information from everyone using the Official Website of the Consulate General of Japan in San Francisco (hereinafter referred to as "the Site") in areas necessary to the smooth operation of the services (such as information provision) provided by the Site. Information acquired will be handled appropriately within the scope of the purposes of use.
2. Scope of information acquisition(1) We automatically collect and store Internet domain names, IP addresses, information about access to the Site (i.e., the date and time you access the Site and the pages you visit) and so on. Cookies (information transmitted from the server to the user's browser and stored on the user's computer in order for the server to identify users) may be used to the purposes to figure out the accurate number of accesses and to improve convenience of the browser display function.
(2) At the “Japanifornia” cultural newsletter, we ask users to register their e-mail address. (Click here to sign-up)
(3) We collect information such as name, phone number, email address, and demographic information that you provide to us when using the contact form and other services on the Site. When you send the Consulate your suggestions or applications by using your email client, your email address will be displayed to the receiver.
3. Purposes of use(1) The information acquired in 2. (1) will be used as a reference for the smooth operation of the service provided by the Site.
(2) The e-mail addresses collected in 2. (2) will be used for the delivery of the “Japanifornia” cultural newsletter.
(3) The information collected in 2. (3) will be used as a reference to policymaking in the future. It will also be used for the purpose of preparing the contents for the “Q&A” on the Site. The phone number or email address that you provide to us will be used to respond to you regarding the reason you contacted us. The demographic information that you provide to us will be used as reference information of your suggestions and comments.
4. Limitations on use and provisionAt the Consulate, except in cases of legal disclosure requests, cases of illegal access, threats and other unlawful acts or other special reasons, the information acquired will not be used by ourselves for any purposes other than those described in 3., nor will it be provided to any third party. However, statistical information regarding access to the Site or information on users' attributes may be made public.
5. Measures to ensure securityThe Consulate is taking the measures necessary to manage acquired information appropriately to prevent the leakage, loss or destruction of acquired information.
6. Disclosure of personal information(1) We do not respond to requests for disclosure of personal information by the users of “Japanifornia” cultural newsletter. Users may opt out of the “Japanifornia” cultural newsletter at any time. Users may also change or correct their information at any time.
(2) The information such as name, phone number, and email address that you provide to us when using the contact form and other services on the Site will be used for the sole purpose of 3. (3). We do not respond to requests for disclosure of personal information by the users of the services on the Site, as we are not able to verify the identity of the users of the services and the requester.