Visa News:Due to COVID-19, the Consulate General of Japan in San Francisco will be offering its services by appointment only. Please use the ONLINE visa appointment system to obtain an appointment ID number in order to apply for a Visa OR Re-entry Confirmation Letter.
Applicants who reside more than 100 miles from the Consulate may apply by mail by following these mailing Instructions. You do not require an appointment if you apply by mail.
Please verify that you have ALL the required documentation for your application before scheduling an appointment. We may not be able to accept your application if you do not have all the necessary documents.
Schedule an appointment online by using the link below: Toll-Free & 24 Hour Hotline for Visa-related inquiries – 1-888-671-4583
*You cannot make an appointment by calling the Toll-Free number.
Please make an appointment online.
I. Visa application are accepted only from residents in our jurisdiction.
Area of Jurisdiction
Proof of residence such as your California/Nevada Driver’s license/ID card, utility bill, etc. is required.
II. Only those with long-term resident status in the U.S. can apply for a visa
Proof of residency includes the following:
(1) U.S. passport (U.S. citizen)
(2) Alien registration card (U.S. green card or permanent resident of U.S.)
(3) Valid long term visa (short term visa, like B1/B2 visa, is not acceptable)
III. General Information
- Applying in person:
Visa applications must be submitted in person. Reservations are required.
There is NO ONLINE Visa process. Please be aware of fraudulent websites, social media and emails.
- Processing time:
Normally, a visa can be issued within 5 working days if all the requirements are met.
- There are, however, some cases or nationals where referrals to the government office in Japan are necessary. In such cases, it may take around 1-2 months for results. Therefore, early planning for your trip to Japan is recommended.
- Visa fees:
No fee is required for U.S. citizens. For other nationals: visa fees page.
- We accept cash, money order, or cashier's check which must be payable to "Consulate General of Japan". Personal checks and credit or debit cards are not accepted.
- Criteria of Visa Issuance:
- A Japanese visa will be issued to an applicant, when he/she meets all of the following requirements and if the issuance is considered to be appropriate.
(1) The applicant possesses a valid passport and is entitled to re-entry to a country of his/her nationality or country of his/her residence. (2) All submitted documents shall be authentic, completed and satisfactory. (3) The activities to be engaged in Japan/the civil status or the position of the applicant /the period of stay meet the requirements for the status of residence and period of stay stipulated in the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act. (Cabinet Order No.319 of 1951. hereinafter referred to as the "Immigration Control Act") (4) The Applicant does not fall under any of the items of Article 5, Paragraph 1 of the Immigration Control Act.
Landing Permission at the Airport
Although a visa is one condition that allows you to land at an airport or seaport, you should note that a visa does not guarantee landing permission. You must obtain landing permission during immigration procedures.
An applicant with a criminal record must provide a copy of his/her court conviction or sentence, along with an English translation of those documents if they are in any language other than English. We would like to know about the charges, time served, fees paid, and probation (if any). If you have such a record, please call our office in advance.
Window: Monday to Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., closed from noon to 1:00p.m.
Due to limited staff in light of Covid-19, we may not be able to answer your call.
Toll-Free & 24 Hour Hotline for Visa-related inquiries – 1-888-671-4583
Phone number and Address
For directions, please click here
Consulate General of Japan in San Francisco
275 Battery Street, Suite 2100
San Francisco, CA 94111
Tel: (415)780-6000 ext. 6092, FAX: (415)767-4200
Tel hours: Monday to Friday, except certain U.S. and Japanese holidays;
9:00a.m. to 5:00p.m., closed from noon to 1:00p.m.
* Due to limited staff in light of Covid-19, we may not be able to answer your call during our window hours.
All visa inquiries should be addressed to the Consulate General of Japan in San Francisco if you reside in Northern and Central California, and the State of Nevada