CIRs are engaged in a wide variety of international activities which can include translating documents, interpreting for visiting dignitaries, planning and assisting in international events, and much more. . CIRs are placed in local government offices throughout Japan. Applicants for this position MUST have a strong command of the Japanese language. (Roughly at N2 level of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test or above).
Standard CIR Duties
- Translate documents and materials from English into Japanese or from Japanese into English.
- Plan, design, and implement international exchange programs and events.
- Assist in hosting official guests from abroad.
- Interpret for overseas guests and local foreign residents.
- Providing language instruction for local employees or residents.
- Assist with sister-city/state relations.
- Assist with regional internationalization efforts.