Working/Long Term Stay

*Please read "Visa Information" before applying for a visa.


  • Visa applications must be submitted in person.


Certificate of Eligibility

When applying for a visa for the purpose of work, study, or long term residence, it is advisable to apply in Japan beforehand for a Certificate of Eligibility.

A Certificate of Eligibility is a document that verifies the activity in which the foreigner wishes to engage in Japan. The advantage of this document reduces the time required to obtain a visa and complete immigration procedures when work or long-term stay are the purposes of the trip, including such activities as; entertainer, professor, researcher, work or employment, religious activities, student, or long-term resident.

The application for a Certificate of Eligibility is made by your sponsor in Japan at the nearest regional immigration authority to his/her place of residence. Employers or schools as well as relatives could become your sponsors.

Once the Certificate of Eligibility reaches you by way of your sponsor in Japan, you are ready to apply for a visa at the Japanese Embassy or Consulate along with the following documents:

(1) Your valid passport
(2) One 2"x 2" passport-type photo (taken within the last 6 months, white background, no glasses)
(3) A visa application form (Fillable) (Non-Fillable)
(4) The Certificate of Eligibility and a duplicate copy (include a back page)
(5) Written pledge (2 COPIES) completed by sponsor in Japan (Not required for Spouse or Child of Japanese National Category)
(6) Non U.S. citizens are required U.S. visa related documents

Please note:

*Do NOT staple/clip/tab documents
*Please be aware that you must enter Japan within 3 months from date of issue of your certificate of eligibility.
*You must include the date of arrival, port of entry, flight number on the application form. If you have not booked a flight by the time of visa application, please include a tentative arrival date, port of entry and flight number on the application form.
*If you have a valid Japanese Visa on your passport at the time you apply for a new Japanese visa, please submit a letter as well. Please see this form . (For example, when you apply for a work visa, but you have a student visa which is still valid)

Further information about categories of visas and visa procedures can be found on the website of Ministry of Foreign Affairs


For highly skilled foreign professionals

Please click for more information

Spouse or Child of Japanese National

Applications from the spouse or child of a Japanese national will also be accepted with the following documents instead of the Certificate of Eligibility.

(1) A valid passport (must have a complete blank visa page)
(2) One visa application form (Fillable) (Non-Fillable)
(3) One 2"x 2" passport-type photos (taken within the last 6 months, white background, no glasses)
(4) An official copy of the family registration (Koseki-Tohon) of the Japanese national concerned, issued within the last three (3) months
For Spouse of Japanese: Your marriage must be recorded.
For Child of Japanese: One of your parents must be Japanese citizen when you were born.
Your parents’ marriage must be recorded.
For Child of Japanese (Former Japanese National): Your renunciation of Japanese citizenship is recorded.
(5) A birth certificate (in the case of child of Japanese national)
(6) A marriage certificate (in the case of spouse of a Japanese national)
(7) A letter of guarantee (English version PDF OR Japanese version PDF) from the applicant’s spouse, parents, father/mother-in-law or closest Japanese relative (next of kin) residing in Japan.
(8) Government documents such as Kazeishomeisho (課税証明書), Nozeishomeisho (納税証明書) certifying the income of the guarantor. The guarantor’s Bank Balance Certificate (銀行残高証明書) is also acceptable.
(9) Proof of relationship between the Guarantor and the applicant such as the guarantor’s Koseki Tohon.
(10) Guarantor’s Certificate of Residence (Jyuminhyo)
(11) The applicant’s most recent U.S. bank statement.
(12) Proof of US permanent residence/visa status of Japanese spouse (in the case of Spouse of Japanese national).
(13) Visa Fee: Please see visa fee page. Please submit the applicable fee at the time of passport pick up.
(No visa fee is required for U.S. citizens)
(14) Non U.S. citizens are required U.S. visa related documents

Please note:
*Do NOT staple/clip/tab documents.
*Documents must be issued within the last 3 months.
*If the applicant or the guarantor changed his/her name, a court order, marriage certificate or other government documents must be submitted.

Long Stay for sightseeing and recreation (Designated Activities)

This visa is for Nationals and Citizens of visa waiver countries who would like to stay more than 91 days for sightseeing and recreation purpose. On approval, you will get a Designated Activities visa for 6 months to stay. If you would like to stay for more than 6 months, you may apply for an extension for up to one year in Japan. (Subject to approval)
For more information and required documents, please visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Website. If you have any further questions, please call the visa section.

For important information after entering Japan with long term visas, please visit: English / Japanese

Important Notes

Landing Permission at the Airport
Although a visa is one condition that allows you to land at an airport or seaport, you should note that a visa does not guarantee landing permission. You must obtain landing permission during immigration procedures.


Criminal Record
An applicant with a criminal record must provide a copy of his/her court conviction or sentence, along with an English translation of those documents if they are in any language other than English. We would like to know about the charges, time served, fees paid, and probation (if any). If you have such a record, please call our office in advance.


Operating Hours
Window: Monday to Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., closed from noon to 1:00p.m.
Due to limited staff in light of Covid-19, we may not be able to answer your call.


Telephone Inquiries
Toll-Free & 24 Hour Hotline for Visa-related inquiries – 1-888-671-4583

Phone number and Address
For directions, please click here

Consulate General of Japan in San Francisco
Visa Section
275 Battery Street, Suite 2100
San Francisco, CA 94111
Tel: (415)780-6000 ext. 6092, FAX: (415)767-4200

Tel hours: Monday to Friday, except certain U.S. and Japanese holidays;
9:00a.m. to 5:00p.m., closed from noon to 1:00p.m.

* Due to limited staff in light of Covid-19, we may not be able to answer your call during our window hours.

All visa inquiries should be addressed to the Consulate General of Japan in San Francisco if you reside in Northern and Central California, and the State of Nevada