Japanese Government Scholarship Programs
2022 MEXT Graduate/Research Student Scholarship (APPLICATION PERIOD CLOSED)
Only U.S. citizens who live in the Consulate's jurisdiction of Northern California and Nevada are eligible to apply through this consulate. U.S. citizens residing in other regions should apply to the Japanese consulate responsible for their region. Please click here for a list of Japanese consulates in the United States.
1. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- Applicants must hold U.S. citizenship.
(Applicants who hold Japanese nationality at the time of application are not eligible.)
- Applicants must have been born on or after April 2, 1987
- Applicants must be a university graduate (at the time of participation on the program) or have completed 16 years of school education
- Applicants must be able to arrive in Japan between April 1st and April 7th, 2022 or within two weeks of the date set by the receiving university for the beginning of the semester for October term (in principle in September or October).
- Applicants must in principle apply in the field that they previously studied as an undergraduate.
2. APPLICATION PROCESS:
(1) Application Deadline
All applications must be received by 5:00 PM, Friday, June 4, 2021.
Please email your completed applications and scanned required documents to:
Senior Coordinator for Educational Affairs
Consulate General of Japan in San Francisco
Note: Please send one set of required digital documents (you don’t have to duplicate files). Please keep total file size per email less than 10MB. If your files are larger than this, please send in sequential emails.
Note: Once we have received your application documents, we will reply to your email. If you do not receive an acknowledgement of receipt within 3 business days, please follow up with a phone call or separate email.
(2) Online Interview:
Those candidates who pass the initial application screening will be invited to participate in an online interview in late June 2021.
(3) Request a provisional acceptance to Japanese universities
Those who pass the Primary Screening will receive a recommendation from our consulate and be directed to apply to the Japanese universities they wish to enter (maximum of 3) to obtain a letter of provisional acceptance from the university(s) of their choice.
(4) Notification of final results
Candidates will receive final results by February 2022. Those selected will begin their studies in Japan from April or October 2022.
Note: This year, the in-person language exams (both Japanese and English) for Research Students will not be conducted. Therefore, please submit documentation which demonstrates your Japanese or English language ability, such as those listed below, along with your application.
*Applicants are still eligible to apply even without the documentation listed below. In that case, applicants must prove their language proficiency at the interview stage after passing the first application screening.
*While Japanese language ability is not a requirement for participation, some study of Japanese language prior to applying is highly encouraged. Applicants must also be willing to learn Japanese if selected for participation.
1. Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) documentation or other certificates.
1. A graduation certificate indicating completion of an English curriculum that satisfies the admission requirements for a Japanese university or graduate school with English as the main language of instruction.
2. TOEFL iBT or IELTS documentation or other certificates.
3. FAQ (UPDATED on May 24, 2021)
- Q1 Letter of Recommendation:
- Please ask your recommender to email the PDF to us directly.
- Q2 Transcript:
- If you have digital transcripts, please email them to us. If you only have paper transcripts, you can email a scanned copy, but you will be asked to send the original one after you pass the first screening.
- Q3 Diploma:
- Please DO NOT send the original diploma. Please email a scanned copy to us.
- Q4 Medical certificate:
- If it is difficult for you to submit your medical certificate by June 4, 2021, please let us know. We can extend the due date of the medical certificate until the announcement of the results of 1st screening (mid-late July).
- Q5 List of Universities in Japan:
- Q6 List of University Degree Courses Offered in English:
- Provided by the Japan Student Services Organization
- Q7 Online Interview:
- Online interviews will be held on Friday afternoon, June 25. We will send an invitation to those who pass the initial application screening by June 21 and will notify each candidate of their interview time and Zoom link.